A simple stir fry dish that’s quick to make and goes down a treat with spring rolls, sweet and sour dishes and many other Chinese recipes.
The secret to making this recipe is not to rush. Steam the rice and allow to cool before cooking this dish. I use a rice cooker but as long as the rice is properly cooked and not hard in the middle you should be OK. Make sure you separate the rice once it’s cooled and before frying. This makes your egg fried rice much lighter, fluffier and tastier.
Karen’s Egg Fried Rice Ingredients
400g cooked rice, cold
2 spring onions sliced finely
1 stock cube (dissolved in about 50ml hot water)
100g tinned or thawed frozen sweetcorn (optional)
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
A pinch of salt
ground white pepper
How to cook Karen’s egg fried rice
- Separate cooked cold rice using a wooden spatula or your fingers.
- Put about 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil in a non stick frying pan or wok. Use a gentle heat only. (I used setting 5 out of 9).
- Fry sliced spring onions until soft.
- Add beaten eggs and scramble in the frying pan.
- Add the rice, a little at a time while eggs are not set.
- Keep stirring and adding rice until all mixed.
- Keeping the heat gentle, pour in the dissolved vegetable stock and mix well.
- Add the tinned sweetcorn (if using) and mix well.
- Add a pinch of salt and ground white pepper to taste.
This should take under 10 minutes from the start. As long as the bits of egg are set and rice are warmed through it is now ready to serve.
Use mixed frozen vegetables (thawed). Serve garnished with sliced spring onions or crispy fried onions.
A great accompaniment to many Asian dishes, serve with sweet and sour, spring rolls or lemon chicken. Beef in black bean sauce is also good too.
If you like this recipe for egg fried rice, be sure to share it with your friends and family. You can also tweet me @HobSpotTweets and you may just show up in the stream in the sidebar.